Taxes affect everyone—but not everyone knows tax law. Tailored for attorneys without a tax background, this program provides a wealth of information to help spot common tax issues before they become tax problems. A federal and state tax update highlights recent legislation, cases of interest, and a look at what’s ahead. Learn about tax considerations for choice of business entity and estate tax planning issues. Gain an understanding of collection alternatives with the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue. Find out how to effectively collaborate with a CPA to maximize value and efficiency for your clients. Explore successor liability for taxes and hot topics in 1031 exchanges including reverse, improvement, and related-party exchanges. Examine Oregon property taxation issues, and learn how to measure maximum assessed value, manage the appeals process, and discuss new construction and business enterprise zone exemptions.
Cosponsored by the Taxation Section.
• Shawn Bargouti, CPA, CISA, US Tax Services LLC, Portland
• Berit Everhart, Arnold Gallagher PC, Eugene
• Jeneé Hilliard, Miller Nash Graham & Dunn LLP, Portland
• Sarah Lora, Statewide Tax Clinic, Legal Aid Services of Oregon, Portland
• Robert Manicke, Stoel Rives LLP, Portland
• Kevin Pearson, Stoel Rives LLP, Portland
• Hertsel Shadian, Hertsel Shadian Attorney at Law LLC, Tualatin
• Barbara Jo Smith, Heltzel Williams Law Firm, Salem
• Caitlin Wong, CW Law, Portland
• Sam Zeigler, CKR Law Group, Lake Oswego
6.75 General CLE credits
ID 43869, 10/19/2017
Complete by 10/19/2020 for Oregon credit
Download course materials (PDF)
Download MCLE recordkeeping form
Please note that it may take up to 30 days after you complete an online seminar for it to appear on your online MCLE Compliance Report at www.osbar.org.