Oregon judges and their lawyer staff, 50-year OSB members, and Active Pro Bono OSB members—please call the OSB CLE Service Center at (503) 431-6413 or toll-free at (800) 452-8260, ext. 413, to register.
Knowing the law is essential—but so is being able to communicate about it. Join writing coach and former attorney Rick Horowitz for a lively and practical session that will reintroduce you to your legal writing toolbox, including a few tools you didn’t know were in there. Explore the fundamentals and critical details of creating clear, well-organized, persuasive legal documents. Briefs, memos, client letters, and daily correspondence will benefit from a deeper understanding of what goes into successful writing. Examine good (and not-so-good) writing to see what worked, what didn’t, and why:
• What to include and what to leave out
• Using an outline—are there better options?
• Getting past blank-screen panic
• Balancing “complete” and “concise”
• Steering clear of grammar and usage potholes that undermine credibility
Make additional selections below